Getting Started | Job Board Websites
Job boards are online sites where you can find a variety of jobs based on your specific career goals. Here are several important points to consider when using them.
- Don’t expect to sit at home and apply online for an open position. Only 2.75% of online applications actually make it through the entire process to the hired candidate position.
- Networking is more important than job board surfing. In short, 55% of your day should be focused on networking with former co-workers, friends, and people who know other people inside the companies you want to work for.
- Use the ‘golden’ hours of 9 AM to 5 PM M-F to directly network with contacts. In other words, maximize your daylight hours.
- Use off-work hours (after 5 PM) to search job board sites, and apply for the positions you feel that you are qualified for online. Likewise, use day hours to conduct your primary search.
- Keep in mind that, on average, only 2% of placements occur through a job board application. Your odds are better if you are networking with the hiring managers and associates inside of companies who can put you in contact with people who are looking to add to their staff.
- If you do apply online, take the necessary time to write, and include a cover letter. Why? Abobe all, many candidates are lazy and won’t spend the time constructing a letter. If well written, it can isolate your skills and background and tie it to the duties and responsibilities of the position that you are applying for.
- Meanwhile, remember that you may be contacted in the future even if you did not receive a follow up for the position you applied for. Be ready for that email or phone call!
BBJ Recommended Job Board Websites
Begin looking for employment opportunities with these sites below. And, make sure and click on the icon to visit each site. In short, make sure that you sign up for these sites. Also, remember to join other job boards based on your specific needs. In conclusion, they may be new players who are not represented below. Good luck!